Why do you need a rat slab?
Rats & Rodents
Animals intrude Crawlspaces to nest and breed away from outside predators once a rat or rodent presence is identified, the homeowner is left to eradicate the population. Even trimming vegetation, clearing fallen fruit, putting away pet and wildlife food, sealing entry holes and setting traps, may not Be enough.
Mold in the Crawlspace
Mold issues in crawl spaces are caused by high moisture and humidity. Mold can have an adverse effect on your personal health as well as the well being of home. An exposure to crawl space mold can cause number of health issues like allergy, coughing, wheezing, and eye irritation to problems as severe as lung disease.
Dirt in the Crawlspace
The major issues with dirt in the crawl space is that they are prone to high humidity levels, which can lead to many related problems such as mold growth, dry rot, structural damage, and poor indoor air quality
- Radon gas is a colorless, odorless, tasteless radioactive gas that’s formed during the natural breakdown of uranium in soil, rocks, and water.
- Radon gas was not high on the radar of builders and home owners over the last few decades, but as it is the second leading cause of lung cancer (after smoking) in the USA & Canada, it is quickly becoming a household term Large number of homes and buildings across the U.S. have crawlspaces with radon gas issues.
- Radon exits the ground and can seep into your home through cracks and holes in the foundation, as well as contaminate well water.
- Crawl spaces with exposed soil floors have no barrier to slow down or prevent radon entry. It can make its way through the floorboards into occupied areas like bedrooms, living rooms and offices.
Water Intrusion in the crawlspace
- Water in crawl spaces is one of the major issues concerning property owners. Water that accumulates in the crawlspace can pose danger to an entire property as it encourages the growth of the mold.
- Mold survives on moisture and darkness. Water accumulation provides necessary nutrients for mold to grow. Mold can spread through the ventilation system, causing health problems and can grow on piers and joists causing structural issues.